Monday, October 15, 2012

60 Minute Cinnamon Rolls


I know these photos aren't fantastic but I really wanted to post this recipe.  With the days getting shorter, I'm having a tough time with a lighting source  for my photos. Even when it was the middle of the day, it was so gray and rainy today that it was dark all day long.
But anyway, these cinnamon rolls took a bit longer than 60 minutes but not by much. They came together really quick.  I enjoyed them a lot.  I found the recipe on the following blog:
 
I knew right away that I wanted to try them.  They are super delicious and extremely easy. I don't like them as well as my favorite cinnamon roll recipe but hey, they are 60 minutes!!  I usually ice my finished cinnamon rolls with a cream cheese icing but this time I simply used a vanilla glaze (powdered sugar, vanilla & milk).  I should have rolled my rolls a bit tighter because a bunch of my filling melted out & onto the parchment paper below BUT, I had made an extra amount of filling so in the end it was still a good amount inside each roll.  One good tip I got from this recipe: instead of using flour on my counter tops to roll out my dough, spray it with Pam instead.  No sticking whatsoever and you don't get too much flour into your dough!  I will use that hint from now on.  I wonder if it would work for sugar cookie dough too?  Anyone know?
I used bread flour in these cinnamon rolls but the Home Based Mom blogger says all purpose flour would be fine.  I mixed the dough all in 1 single mixing bowl that my Kitchen Aid mixture uses.  I then used my dough hook and mixed for 10 minutes.  I popped the mixed dough out onto my counter top that was coated with non stick spray, covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.  It rolled out like a dream.  So easy!!
I still can't believe I can make an awesome pan of cinnamon rolls in about an hour from beginning to end! Wow!
Oh, I made one single change, I added about 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the dough when it was in the liquid stage, after the yeast had bloomed.  I liked the extra flavor!





 
60 Minute Cinnamon Rolls
  • 1 C warm water
  • 3/4 C room temperature buttermilk
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/4 C melted butter
  • 3 T regular yeast
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (my addition)
  • 1/2 T salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 5-6 C bread flour
  • Filling
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • Frosting
  • 1/4 C butter, softened
  • 3 C powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • enough milk or half and half to make it spreading consistency.
 
Instructions
  1. Mix together water, buttermilk, sugar, melted butter and yeast in a bowl. Allow to sit for 15 minutes..
  2. Add in salt, eggs and flour and mix for 10 minutes.
  3. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
  4. While resting prepare your filling
  5. Mix together 2 Tbsp melted butter, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamo0n.
  6. Roll dough out on to greased countertop into a 12 x 16 inch square.
  7. Sprinkle with filling and roll up. Cut into 12 large rolls.
  8. Place rolls on a cookie sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper.
  9. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.
  10. Mix together frosting and spread on warm rolls.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

..they look so good, Heidi! I'm going to try them soon!

Leigh Anne@YourHomebasedMom said...

They look great! So glad you enjoyed them.

Cakegirls Kitchen said...

OMG... these look great. I just may be baking up a batch this weekend!!!!